I didn't get right back to it. My head of steam, such as it was, wore off and instead of getting right back to it, I did something else -- exercised and watched baseball on television, or did not exercise and still watched television.

Then during the week I found myself feeling a little bit creatively tired and even depressed. I brought my laptop to work most days but I found myself resistant to thinking about the book or even opening the notes file. Friday came, and I found myself busy at work and with things to do during the evening, so I did not fuck off and come over to my office to write.

So while I worked for four different days last week, this week will have only two. And I'm getting a late start today, a muggy Saturday where the fog never quite burns off but forms a glary haze. I woke up reasonably early but because I was determined not to spend time sleeping during the day -- because I have to knock off in late afternoon and go see A. -- I stayed in bed and slept until after 9:00. Then I got up and did errands and now when I finally sit down it's almost noon. And even as I sit down, it's none too eagerly. I have to make myself concentrate.

I think I'll try to close my eyes for a few minutes and then do some thinking.



3:30 -- I wrote about 1160 words and found a way to end chapter 3 on a slightly foreboding note. I finally have four of the characters roaring up the lake on the ferry. In the next chapter, rather than simply continuing the forward narrative, I think I'll begin with a flashback featuring Hap's sex life. I can bring in another character at some point... For some reason, I'm reluctant to talk a great deal about Seth at this point. I introduced him in this chapter without doing what I did for Shaun and Bart, which is to give a lot of their backstory.

I think instead what I'll do is talk about Hap's marriage to Kara, how it started and ended. He would have known Greg, Bart, Shaun and Seth during this period...

Another note is that I'm neglecting Denny, and Denny is really a more interesting character than Shaun, on whom I've already spent a lot of ink. Perhaps instead of writing about Bart's marriage, I'll write Denny's whole backstory, and then he comes onstage in the middle of the chapter when the ferry arrives at the top of the lake.

It's 3:45 today so I think I'll knock off and try to have a big day tomorrow, when I don't have any obligations.

Popular posts from this blog

Datamining your Twitter feed