Since writing the above list of scenes, I've felt both constrained and energized by it, to the point that I do little thinking about how to go forward except to work out how to get those scenes on paper. By now, at the beginning of chapter 11, I've covered 1 through 3 and also 5. I guess I need to do 4 next. Of course, I also have to work in the sex...

This is also a period when I'm stuck at home. Cris got ankle surgery two days ago and I'm home taking care of her. It's just as well, in a way, since B. has family at his house; he warned me last weekend that it would be noisy and difficult to work there.

Yesterday was Saturday and I only did a few hundred words. I told myself that it was all right, that things would work out so I would be able to get things done. Even more important than sheer progress is not to get too anxious at this point.

 
I wrote, basically, one scene all weekend: 11a, in which I covered point 3 above. The next thing I have to do is point 4, or maybe I'll write something intermediate to set up point 7. None of these have to go in exactly the order listed above, as long as point 9 is the last one.

The only other thing I accomplished was to go through the whole manuscript and change two-thirds of the occurrences of the word "just" to alternatives including "simply," "only," "exactly" and so on; or to simply cut out the word as needless. I left it in dialogue more than I left it in narration. When I was done I felt better about having cleaned up something that is one of my weak habits.

But I need to think about the main thing, which is to get the scene with Denny off the ground, and to think about another sex scene. Maybe tomorrow.

Popular posts from this blog

Datamining your Twitter feed