I keep making notes on this chapter but I'm clearly having trouble with it. The main problems are that it's an interstitial chapter -- it's between the road trip and the arrival at the cabin -- and that it has to bear a lot of burden of exposition.

In the past I would have simply tried to write through it, painstakingly leading the reader through moment after moment more as a way to discover for myself what happens than to actually say anything interesting. But I don't have time to do that, nor would it be interesting. Get to the point! -- except that I'm not sure what the point is.

Q: What are the points?
A: First, introduce three characters. Second, Shaun's antipathy toward Seth. Third, the setting. Fourth, Hap's dilemma.
Q: What else?
A: Each time a new character is introduced, must reveal -- through language -- Hap's attitude toward him.
Q: But what is important about that?
A: Because of the male readership this book is supposed to have, I can't take the general mocking attitude toward the male characters that I normally would. Maybe should read a Raymond Chandler book or something.


90 minutes later -- After all that angst I simply started in, and wrote 775 words to begin the chapter. I tied up the scene with Marcie, doing a "next morning" thing, then did these points from above:
1. Road.
2. Hap on Meeghan and how she has to carry on affair at his place.

Just about ready to pick up Shaun.

Popular posts from this blog

Datamining your Twitter feed