I wrote about 2800 words yesterday, a not-too-bad start to what is, essentially, the second part of the book -- the part where they will all be in one setting. I say not too bad because it reads all right the way it is, and yet I'm conscious that the second part of the book is that which must build to a climax and since I don't really have a sense of the shape of the narrative arc -- though I have mapped out some conflicts -- I can't say I have done well to start that arc at the beginning of chapter 6. All I did was introduce Seth a little more and have a sex story set against the background of an abortive prank where they're gathering fallen wood to make a sort of sculpture. Silly idea but... It's hard to judge. It seems more important to keep tearing onward.

And today, Sunday, I have a shortened day. Cris expects me back at the house in less than four hours to work on some bookshelves. I just became aware I haven't had enough coffee so I'll make a few notes, go get the coffee, and attempt to begin. Though I have no idea what to write next.

I suppose I ought to introduce Bianca, though I don't feel quite ready to. The thing is, it's late in the evening and I want to have one more scene before the morning comes and I introduce her. Perhaps what I'll do is make it not quite so late. I'll have a few of them sitting up having a nightcap and then have a story.

The question then is which story. I just used up one of those I thought of including: the story Stacy told me of how one night she switched beds with her housemate and they fucked each other's dates. That story still tickles me; I could have done more justice to it.

I also realized this morning that I must do more to make each female character somewhat memorable. They can't just be a parade of cunts, they have to be really alive. Doing so will not only be more honorable, but it will make the book more interesting once the reader gets used to the idea that the book consists of sex story after sex story.

So again, which story should I tell -- instead of asking who should tell it. Bart hasn't had much screen time lately so maybe it should be him. And what do I have for Bart to tell? I thought of having him tell about something from Burning Man. Also, he can tell about an event that took place in Bangalore... I thought of having him tell his version of the story about fucking Jennifer the HR lady. Actually I think that would be more fun.

One thing that's interesting -- I thought it might be hard for me to maintain interest writing mostly about straight vanilla sex, but so far it's been pretty easy, and at times inspired. There's enough variation, like the business about the women switching beds -- so far.

 
4:25 pm -- must knock off. Made good progress though, got well into the scene between Bart and Jennifer. Hee hee.

Popular posts from this blog

Datamining your Twitter feed