A little after noon; I have been here reading for almost an hour. I am at the point of the book where all the men have arrived at Don's mountain lodge.

In my last session I had such a good time writing about Greg that it's made me think I should go back and make the rest of the book, or at least parts of it, more antic and absurdist. But I don't think I'm going to try to do that now; I want to keep forging ahead.

So I'm at a point where normally I would get very bogged down in a sort of slow-motion scene: They go upstairs to meet Don... They have drinks and talk and then have dinner... They have the first wide-ranging conversation.

Instead of doing that, I ought to do something that confounds the reader's expectations. What if Don is somehow missing, and they have to kind of deal with that? He shows up the next morning and it's all meant to keep them off-balance and demonstrate that he's at the top of the pecking order.

I still need to introduce a subplot or two and I have no ideas that I can remember... Time to look back on my notes.
Perhaps the subplot does have to do with Denny's own internal struggle -- his motivations for competing with Don, for coming up with an alternative, for inveigling Hap. Something to do with the way his yearning for redemption competes with his weaknesses.
My sense is that the other subplot has to have something to do with Seth, who has not come to the fore at all yet.

Oh... Hmm, I said last weekend that the subplot had to have something to do with Bart and the wi-fi for all thing, and should be comic.

Okay... I'm going to get started. I have some scene-setting and exposition to do anyway.

 
6:10 pm -- I managed to work most of the afternoon, except for taking a break halfway through for a sandwich, getting in 1500 words, but I don't feel very happy about them. Basically I got the guys into the house and did a little bit of exposition. Dull.

At home tonight I hope I can do some real thinking about what to do next.

 
11:30 pm -- I only just now looked a little through notes again. I happily note that I already have loads of ideas for sex stories from most of the characters. I ought to calm down and just have them start telling them.

Hmm, I wonder if I can work Bart's chain.com job in somehow. Or does there have to be a justification for all the sex stories?

Popular posts from this blog

Datamining your Twitter feed